In ACTS, Operational Data takes the form of a rate, such as runtime, throughput, fuel consumption, etc. and can be used to determine true emission calculation output. To access the Operational Data page from the main menu, users may select the Operations module then Operational Data.
Information on the Operational Data page is organized into two sections. The display filter section allows users to filter Equipment, Facilities, and dates. The Operational Data entry section allows users to enter the actual Operational Data.
- The display filter is comprised of three sub-sections: Data Entry Type, Display Type, and Criteria. If a user checks All Equipment in a Facility in the Data Entry Type sub-section, the Equipment field in the Criteria sub-section will be grayed out and inaccessible; however, the user can enter Facility or Area search data and the desired Year and Month in the Criteria sub-section. If a user checks A Single Piece of Equipment in the Data Entry Type sub-section, the Month field in the Criteria sub-section will be grayed out and inaccessible; however, the Facility, Year, and Equipment fields will be available.
- Select the desired Display Type sub-section.
- Once all accessible fields have been entered in the Data Entry Type, Display Type, and Criteria sub-sections, select Load. The Operational Data entry section will populate. Users can expand and collapse the Operational list by clicking the plus icon in the dark blue circle or the minus sign in the dark blue circle, respectively.
- Users can add information on the remaining tabs by scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting the "Add a new row" icon (i.e., the icon shaped like a plus sign). If data for multiple rows has been added, users may select multiple items by pressing and holding CTRL and selecting the items. Users can delete a row by selecting the icon that looks like a trashcan, and they can insert a row by selecting the arrow icon. For a visual list of the most common icons in ACTS, click here.
- Select the Save icon in the main menu at the top of the page. For data to appear as dropdown items, it must first be saved in ACTS.
ACTS uses multiple source points to perform emission calculations. For example, a calculation for tank emissions can incorporate whether the tank is configured with a flare or VRU (to account for emission destruction/capture), emission factor (from E&P TANKS, AP-42 default factors, stat-published factors, etc.), and site-specific analytical sampling data for VOC % (for tank de-gassing or cleaning).
ACTS requires all of the below information in order to calculate and track emission data:
All ACTS calculation formulas are unit-dependent and data-source dependent (whether an emission factor is used or an analysis is required). The following steps illustrate how to calculate and track the carbon monoxide emissions from a combustion source. For example, a boiler's monthly calculation and emissions will most likely be based on the amount of fuel consumed by the boiler using the following formula and requiring both an equipment-specific carbon-monoxide EF and monthly boiler use values:
Combustion Source (mmscf/month, EF lb/mmscf; ton/month) = EF (lb/mmscf natural gas consumed) * Fuel Use (natural gas consumed per month (mmscf/month)